Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Cat’s Meow



Sitting in my kitchen

after teaching philosophy

I discover the meaning of life:

we’re all like white blood cells

in the body of the universe

doing what we can to help

when we’re called

just like my father, a fireman, did

whenever there was a fire.

After this thought ends

from my rooftop I hear a meowing cry

I might have ignored another time

but since tonight answering calls

is the meaning of life

I walk onto the roof

where I see a skinny tabby.

I give it some milk.

In the morning, with my girlfriend’s help,

we pull the cat down the fire escape.

Since we are stronger than a seven pound cat

we break the cat’s many grips

on the railing

and succeed in putting the cat

on the sidewalk.

The cat immediately hides under a car.

My girlfriend says you now have a cat.

I name the cat Uni for Universe.

His name and meows sometimes remind me:

keep meowing for response;

keep responding to meows.

No comments:

Post a Comment