Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Cat's Meow

The Cat’s Meow



Sitting in my kitchen

after teaching philosophy

I feel I’ve discovered the meaning of life:

we’re all like white blood cells

in the body of the universe

doing what we can to help

when we are called

just like my father did as a fireman whenever there was a fire.

When this thought ends

from my rooftop I hear a meowing cry

I might have ignored another time

but since answering calls is tonight the meaning of life

I walk out onto the roof

where I see a skinny calico cat.

I give it some milk.

In the morning with my girlfriend’s help

I pull the cat down the fire escape

while the cat grips tightly on the railing.

Since I am stronger than a seven pound cat

I bring the cat to the parking lot

where it immediately hides under a car.

My girlfriend says you now have a cat.

I name the cat Uni for Universe.

His name and meows often remind me

keep meowing for response

keep responding to meows.

No comments:

Post a Comment