Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Meaning of Life

Sitting in my kitchen

after teaching philosophy

I feel I’ve discovered the meaning of life.

We are all like white blood cells

in the body of the universe:

we do what we can to help

when we are called--

just like my father did as a fireman whenever there was a fire.

As this thought ends,

I hear a meowing cry from my rooftop.

I might have ignored it at another time.

It is very late and I am very tired.

But I have to respond after discovering the meaning of life.

I walk out and see a small skinny calico cat.

I give it some milk.

In the morning, with my girlfriend’s help,

I take the cat down the fire escape.

The cat grips tightly on the railing.

But I am stronger than a 7 pound cat.

I put it on the ground and it immediately hides under a car.

My girlfriend says,

“You have a cat.”

I name it “Uni” for “Universe.”

His name sometimes reminds me about the meaning of life,

and that in our universe

father like cat

can meow.

No comments:

Post a Comment